Bonsack United Methodist Church had its beginnings on August 29, 1874. It began as Bonsack Methodist Episcopal Church South. George and Mary Cook conveyed the land where the first church was located. It was originally on the Roanoke Circuit. In May 1891, it was reported that the congregation had raised $80 to purchase a bell,
The Ladies Aid Society was very instrumental in raising funds for church use. They would organize wonderful old-fashioned ice cream socials. In 1934, the original Antioch Church was torn down and ground was broken for the new Bonsack Methodist Church. It is located across from the present church. Since this was during the Depression, the men of the church did much of the work themselves.
In the early 1900's, the Epworth League was started for the young people in the church, The name of this group was changed to the Methodist Youth Fellowship and is now called the United Methodist Youth Fellowship. Many of our youth have gone into ministry and hold current positions of leadership in our church.
The church had its first full time minister in 1953. The Reverend James Buford needed a parsonage. At Quarterly Conference, a building committee drew up plans and Alfred N. Cook and his family offered up the site. The parsonage was erected.
At the quarterly Conference May 1957, plans were made for the Educational Building. In 1961, five acres of land were purchased. In 1963 an architect completed plans for a proposed church. The ground was broken for our current facility on April 13, 1966. Reverend William Gardner was pastor at the time. The first service in this building was held August 13, 1967.
In 1982 the people voted to hire an architect to design our current day sanctuary. Ground was broken June 5, 1983. Three stained glass windows were brought from the old sanctuary and placed in the new building to symbolize BUMC's past. These have since been relocated to a wall in the narthex. The first service was held in the present sanctuary on April 8, 1984.
In 1999 we celebrated 125 years of service to our parishioners and our community. Real growth began to happen in the late 80's and early 90's. John Ashley was appointed as pastor in June 1991, In 1997 needs were assessed and plans were drawn for more educational space to accommodate the growing membership.
In the year 2000 we said goodbye to John Ashley after nine years of service to this congregation and welcomed Ronald K. Morris as our senior pastor.
In 2005 we voted to add on to our church building. This was completed in April 2007. That addition included more seating in the sanctuary, a family life building, additional Sunday School space, an expanded narthex, and new administrative offices. In July 2007, Ronnie Morris was transferred to another parish and the Reverend Doctor Richard Daily came on board for a year.
In July of 2008, Tim Tate became our Senior Pastor. Following him came our current pastor, Reverend Randy McMillen.